|Blake Griffin says he does not plan to defend his Dunk Contest crown. (Getty Images)|
You can hear the Kia executives breaking down in tears around the world.
Los Angeles Clippers All-Star forward Blake Griffin said Thursday that he does not plan to defend his 2011 Slam Dunk Contest title.
ESPNLA.com reports that Griffin plans to take it easier during the 2012 All-Star Weekend in Orlando than he did at 2011 All-Star Weekend in Los Angeles.
"As of right now I don't plan on being in it," Griffin said Thursday night. "Those dunk contests aren't my thing, I said that last year. There's a lot of guys that can put on a great show and do some good stuff."Griffin won the 2011 Dunk Contest by jumping over a Kia while catching an alley-oop pass from then teammate Baron Davis. His absence would take a lot of steam out of this year's contest, considering that he was the one All-Star who appeared in the 2011 version. Love him or hate him, you can't replace him.
"Last year was hectic and it kind of made it unenjoyable," Griffin said. "So this year, we'll see what will happen, but I will try to tone it down a bit and get a break instead of being so busy."
Earlier this week, Griffin threw down arguably the dunk of the year, posterizing Oklahoma City Thunder center Kendrick Perkins.
Miami Heat All-Star forward LeBron James said that he is giving consideration to participating in this year's Dunk Contest, although nothing is finalized. James has made similar indications in previous years but has yet to participate.
On Thursday, the NBA announced that Griffin, 22, was voted by the fans to the starting lineup of the Western Conference All-Star team.